Saturday, December 24, 2011

Our Mexican Adventure Day 5

Thursday November 3rd was our first day in Cabo. We weren’t going to be arriving until late morning, but we still had to get up early because it was the morning of our Character Breakfast!

DCL assigns every table a specific date and time for their character breakfast, which is printed on your dining ticket. I believe all the character breakfasts were held in Parrot Cay. Because we had the early seating for dinner, we also had the early character breakfast, which worked out because I wanted to be done in time to get off the boat right when we got to Cabo.
Jack is studying the menu…


We got Pluto first


Next was Minnie

Then Dale

Then the waiters make everyone silly hats. They were pretty entertaining…


Next, things got a bit Goofy…

T
he characters and their handlers had a lot of trouble with our table… They couldn’t ever figure out who was with who, so this time we just had them get a picture of Jack and the latest love of his life. I will say that while the breakfast was fun, it was very chaotic.
Next was the big cheese…

And finally, Chip

I have no pictures of what we ate, but I jotted notes down. Evidently I had blueberry pancakes with eggs and hash browns, OJ and all of the moms drank a LOT of coffee. Jack had chocolate chip pancakes, a Mickey waffle, eggs, fruit and hot chocolate, which he managed to spill everywhere. Breakfast was ok.
After breakfast we hung around a bit and took some pictures of the kids. They came out pretty dark though.

Jack and I went to guest services to get a copy of our bill (I like to keep on top of my charges so I am not shocked at the end) and then we delivered the rest of our FE’s. Then we went to take some pictures of us pulling in.
Pretty soon we were arriving in Cabo!


We waited in our room until they announced they were boarding tenders. They had us got to the Buena Vista Theater to wait, but I think we were in there for about 5 minutes before we headed down to the tenders. We were on land in Cabo by 10:45 am.





Originally I had booked the Harbor Cruise and Scenic Stop for Cabo. I canceled because I had read how cheap and easy it is to get water taxis that will take you to the various beaches etc.
I imagine this is where we would have met:

Our first mission was to head to Cabo Wabo (as in the tequila brand by Sammy Hagar)as a favor to my mother, who loves that tequila. This is where the world apparently ended for Jack.
First, let me set the scene. It was 11 am, we were pretty full from breakfast and it was surprisingly warm out. All along the dock there are vendors trying to get you on their boat so they can take you sightseeing or snorkeling or to a beach or whatever. They are all selling the same things and for what I would assume is the same price. But I already had plans so it was aggravating, though expected. I was looking at a map and following the signs for Cabo Wabo. It was pretty hot so I figured we should get a drink. I started to go into one store, but I realized there weren’t any drinks in there so I went into this small market type place to get a bottle of water. Jack REALLY wanted to go into the store though. I said no, he whined, I got him an orange soda type drink (he said he didn’t want water), he continued to whine. I was getting annoyed. I got directions to Cabo Wabo and we started walking and Jack started crying and whining more. And more. We keep walking, he keeps crying. He keeps saying he wanted to go back to that store. That store was a drug store, where they sell prescription type drugs, so we weren’t going back. It was like someone had canceled Christmas or something for Jack he just. Kept. Crying. It was pretty embarrassing, here we are walking through the streets of Mexico in search of tequila and I have a crying three year old at my side. One guy even asked Jack why he was crying, he asked if his mommy hit him… to which I naturally responded “Not yet”. (No really, I don’t “hit” Jack and I am definitely not trying to stir up a spanking debate, it just seemed like the appropriate response at the time).
Finally we made it to our destination!


Jack was still not happy. I told him we were going to sit here and eat lunch and he emphatically stated he didn’t want to and continued whining. Which led to the immediate order of this:

After perusing the menu, Jack continued to state that he didn’t want anything so I ordered without him.
I got a quesadilla

Jack eventually decided he wanted some pineapple juice

He also insisted on sitting on my lap for a large portion of our meal. This was pretty unusual for him, but it kept him from crying so I let him.
Eventually he decided he wanted some chips and “sauce” (salsa) so I ordered this

It was delicious!
Jack likes to eat limes…

As you can see, we were both hot and sweaty

Eventually I got the bill. I loved that they had it in pesos and dollars so I could see how much I was actually spending. My credit card however did NOT love being used in Mexico and declined, so I paid in cash.

I really liked the various posters they had, this one was cool because of the play on words- Lands End is what they call the rock formation in Cabo that is apparently the rock that is farthest out in the Pacific Ocean. Yes, I am a nerd sometimes.

I
I will also say that we had to hang out longer because that margarita was pretty strong. After we were done I bought a couple souvenirs and some tequila for my mom. I also stopped and got some more cash and then we headed back to the ship. I decided I would go back the next day without a whiny three year old!
We were back on the ship by 1:30. I took Jack to the pool and I sat on the edge while he got his fill of the water. Then we grabbed some lunch at Pluto’s for Jack (he didn’t eat much of the chips) before heading down to take a nap around 2:45. We watched some Phineas and Ferb before nap as well.
At 5 we got dressed in our pirate gear for Pirate Night and headed out to take pictures. We hit up Captain Hook first

Next was Mickey!


We saw a lot of people dressed up and I was kind of wishing I had “dressed” more for the occasion, but it was fine.
Before dinner we checked email and I emailed my mom to let her know the prices on tequila so she could decide how much she wanted me to buy.
So earlier on in the day I had asked Jack what he thought he would have for dinner. He told me he wanted dumplings, which he does get a craving for every so often (the Chinese food kind) and I had said I didn’t know what was going to be on the menu, but I was sure dumplings wouldn’t be one of the choices. Famous last words! This was the only occasion on which Jack had an adult appetizer!
Pirates Golden Pot Stickers- it came with 3 but he snatched one so fast I couldn’t get a picture!

I had the Buccaneers Sun Ripened Pineapple with coconut covered banana and orange glaze

Jack didn’t order this, but the other Jack did so I thought I’d get a picture for any one with kids who eat shrimp, this was the kids Surf and Turf

Jack had steak with sauce, green beans, and the ever present French fries. BTW Jack loves anything with sauce so this was a big hit. Also this was when we had another magical moment. I went to cut Jack’s steak and Teody said he would do it, because I was on vacation. The ultimate in luxury!

And the usual for dessert:

I had The Dutchman’s Dijon Crusted Sirloin of Beef with oven roasted sweet potatoes and a black spot tomato with red wine glaze

For dessert I actually couldn’t decide so I ordered two…
The Rum soaked chocolate cake

And the Crunch Time Sundae- run raisin ice cream with pineapple and whipped cream

I also went ahead and got one of the special light up cups with a coke.
I was really glad we were in Parrot Cay for Pirate Night, it really seemed to fit the theme. I felt this way about our entire dining rotation actually.
After dinner we headed up to get a picture with Jack Sparrow. The line was LOOOOONG but well worth the wait. Jack Sparrow took a lot of time with Jack and upon learning they shared the same name, rewarded Jack with gold from his treasure chest!




We headed back to our room to kill a little time before the party began!

A few more FE gifts were found!

I changed Jack into his Pirate PJ’s and we applied some piratey tattoos (those were hard to get off later!)

At dinner Anthony had told us the best place to be for the party so I intended to get there SUPER early. We stopped for a special beverage for me…

And made our way up to Deck 10. We were there way early, by 8:45, and we weren’t the only ones there either! I had brought our million glow bracelets and got to work attaching the connectors and making them glow. Jack played with some little girls that were there and we passed out glow bracelets to anyone passing by. The kids ran up and down the deck while I enjoyed the atmosphere.


Pretty soon they pirates on Deck 9 started playing some games. Luckily Jack is too young for most of them, otherwise it would have been harder to decide to keep our great spot on 10.

They played these interactive games kind of like the POTC game at Disney Quest. It was pretty cool really.

Then the other Jack and his mommy arrived as the dancing portion began. The two Jack’s had fun playing pirates with the glow sticks and watching the dancing below, especially when the characters started.



The green drink you see was Pirate punch, being served in the light up cup. I decided to get one so we would have two cups so Jack would have one of his own when we got home.

As the dancing wore on (and on and on) the deck behind us got pretty crowded. Soon the bad pirates took over the ship with their own dance party…



Just when I thought the dancing would go forever, Mickey came and saved the day!


Mickey glides in and says something relatively cryptic about how he promised us a party so now there will be a party in the sky. This moment was comical because we are all looking down at deck 9 and at Mickey when we realize this means the fireworks are starting. The other Jack’s mom and I then start shouting for the boys to turn around so all you heard was “Jack!” “Jack!” “Jack!” “Jack!” “Jack!”. She has video and on the audio she said there’s like 30 solid seconds of us yelling before the boys finally turned around!
I didn’t take any fireworks pics, but I will say it was a great view, so I’m glad we had our spot staked out! After the fireworks everyone was on stage dancing together.
I had had enough dancing and it was late so we headed out. On our way out we passed by a group of tweens and we gave them the rest of our glow bracelets. They were really excited about it which I thought was cute.
We finally made it to our room and continued our nightly ritual of Ducktales before bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment